Sunday, April 15, 2012

A New Leash on Life



Meet "Rufus", how could anyone turn away this                      gorgeous little Pug Mug?....
Most of you know that I'm crazy about animals.  If there were anything else in the world I would ever want to do besides singing, working out and shopping at Kohl's with my hard earned Kohl's cash it would be an ASPCA Animal Cop of course. My little Greek Coconut might not be at genius level, but it sure doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out when a dog or any other animal for that matter is in need.  You may remember a few weeks ago I shared the viral video about "Fiona" and her rescue.  If you don't remember or may have missed it click here to read all about her and watch the heart warming video of her rescue.
Back to this week, let me introduce you to "Rufus".  "Rufus" is a Pug who wandered into a friends yard back in November... How do I know him? Well, I was in Miami last week for a meeting. The people we were meeting with had "Rufus" at their house.  He wandered into their yard, or shall I say got his little piggy body stuck in-between the fence and the bushes. You see their yard backs up to a golf course. So after getting him unstuck and doing everything humanly possible to track down the owner to no avail (including trying to scan his microchip which was never registered - can anyone say dumb owner?) they let him stay.  However because they already have four big dogs of their own, they really wanted to find him a forever home with his own mommy and daddy - so in comes the Greek Girl...
I don't know if it's the invisible flashing neon sign above my head that only animals in need can see, or if it's just something askew in my coconut. Either way my animal chip is hyper sensitive. So it's no surprise that after meeting him, I just could not get his little Pug mug out of my mind. So I set out to find him a new momma. Believe me, if I didn't already have four spoiled rotten furkids of my own, I would be his new momma. However we have a word for that in the Greek language, it's also a show on Animal Planet called "Hoarders". Plus my mom told me that if I brought home another dog for her to watch when I travel there would be a holy Greek Jihad, so I figured it best to just find him a good home. ;D
After posting to my facebook page, I received an email from one of my good friends from high school's little sister. I had totally forgot, that the family had lost their beloved Pug two years ago to a very serious brain disorder called GME. She asked me how old "Rufus" was and if he was potty trained... A few emails, texts and a day later "Rufus" had a new momma. Introducing "Ava's Doggie Transport Service" offering free rides from south Florida to New York. So back down to Miami we went to pick up "Rufus" and start the long treck back to New York. It's a good thing the spoiled furkids did not come on this trip or bringing "Rufus" back might have been just a wee bit more difficult. Especially since he was covered in fleas and ticks. Apparently they say that south Florida is a nightmare for pet owners, even those who use Frontline Plus. Good grief, they sure weren't kidding. We made a pit stop to give him a flea bath, then apply more Frontline and bam we were off.
He did extremely well on the long trip, and even claimed his own co-pilot seat right on the console. By the time we arrived back to Grama's house where the four furkids were being babysat it was 1:30am. Let's just say that the excitement the furkids felt to see their mom & dad quickly turned to horror when they saw us with what - what - what?!?... another dog in tow.  We introduced them, explained to them what was going on, and tucked them all in the for the night.
The next morning "Rufus" was off to the Vet to get all checked out, neutered, heart worm test, shots, ears cleaned, nails trimmed, teeth cleaned, and all set up with more frontline & heart worm preventative. We picked him up that afternoon and he was very happy to see us and took a nice long nap.  He is recovering very well and actually seems to be having a fun time terrorizing the Pekingese's in the Aston house. It seems like the only one of my furkids who does like him is "Itty Bitty" the 4 lb Maltese, go figure.
So in about a week or so, "Rufus" will be going to his new forever home with a very good family and will have a spoiled life. The moral of the story... Well, this is not the first time I have stepped in to save the day for an animal, and I'm sure it will not be the last. I once found a doggie tied to a parking meter screaming in NYC, spent three hours chasing down a doggie running in the streets in Hollywood, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. As long as there are people who do not care for their animals like they should: ie: spay/neuter, register the microchip, give the necessary care/shots/heart worm/flea preventative, all the things that are necessary if you are going to have an animal... I'm sure my "animal in need chip" will continue to beep and I will be off to find them and do whatever is necessary to help.
So many people think "it's just a dog, it's just a cat, it doesn't really matter"... Well, for those people I have one thing to say to you: You are WRONG! Animals are domesticated, they can not survive without us. There are diseases, and danger in the world, they need us. I know times are tough and many people can not afford to care for their animals, but there is always an answer. Many Pet stores offer monthly shot clinics where you can get pets properly vaccinated at a very reduced rate and no office call fee. There are low cost veterinarians, and some Vets even offer reduced or free services to an animal that's a rescue. There are the hero's at organizations like the ASPCA, and the Humane Society who can offer help and information. They even have local offices in some cities around the country. There are also countless other animal rescue organizations in every town that can offer help to anyone in need or looking for information on how to properly care for their animal. There is really No Excuse Ever to not care for your animal.  And.. if you don't the Greek Girl with her super sensitive "animal in need" chip will find you will end up in Greek Girl Jail.
While I'm on my soapbox, I just have one question? Would you dump your kids off in a kill shelter because you had to move? Well petfinder.com is full of heartbreaking stories of animals who had exactly that done to them. One day they wake up in the home they've always known with their people, and the next a cold lonely steel cage on a euthanasia   list. There is No Excuse! When you get an animal you make a commitment to that animal. I don't care what happens in your life, you should honor it and do what is right to care for them. That is why I say "Adopt Don't Shop". Puppy mills are a horrible epidemic.  Shelters across the US are full of loving animals in need of homes. It's easy to find any breed, just go to www.petfinder.com and enter the info, zip code and wall-a - you have a new buddy.

The only thing animals ever ask in return is love. Animals are pure love.  BTW... did you ever notice that Dog, is GOD spelled backwards... just sayin.
Blessings, Love & Music ~
Ava :D xox
www.avaaston.com

No comments:

Post a Comment