Tuesday, January 29, 2013

This is My Story


Do what makes your heart happy!
Do what makes your heart happy!
I wanted to take a minute to share what is on my heart.  Most of my friends and fans know what Greek Girl is all about.  You know what I stand for, what my values and ideology are, and what I feel I have been put on this earth to do, and for how long I have been working towards it.
However there are people who are new to my music and message and for those people I wanted to take a minute to explain why the average person would want to help me in this endeavor, and tell you my story.
As a Christian my goal is to be a positive influence to people using the talent that God Blessed me with.  In all honesty my desire is to be a singing philanthropist.  To be able to use my voice to lift people up and to give to those in all kinds of situations who are in need.  There are several organizations I am passionate about helping which are linked to my website.  I am married to a Veteran, and my mom works for the Purple Heart helping Veterans.  I have given free concerts to all kinds of people including Veterans, and given away literally thousands of CD's to our Veterans serving over seas, to kids, sick kids and people.  Because that is what is in my heart to do.
Ever since I was a little kid, from the time I started to talk, I have been getting lost in music.  I was like a little Tina Turner with the hairbrush in the mirror giving concerts in my bedroom, writing songs in my journal.
However when I was growing up people were not going on youtube and then the Ellen Degeneres show at 7 years old getting record deals. So I kept on singing, practicing and honing my skills by recording when I could, writing and singing anywhere and everywhere I could.  I have sang everywhere you can possibly imagine, from nursing homes, to funerals, to weddings, to National Anthems starting at local high school sports games, AA baseball games, College and on up to for Professional Sports Teams all over the country.
When I was growing up - when people listened to music all they cared about was when they heard a song was if it made them feel something.  Did the singer invoke emotions?  That was it.  If it makes you feel something you like it.  If not, you don't... simple right?
Then something weird happened in the music industry...  One day I woke up at 28 years old and I was "too old".  Huh?  Britney Spears came on the scene and followed by American Idol with it's 28 year old age limit and although it had been creeping in for years before - everyone in the industry from potential producers, to managers and anyone who could open up any kind of door... All they were concerned about was the number.
Before they ever heard me sing, and even after they heard something and liked it, it all came down to the million dollar question - "so how Old are you?"...  Silly I concur, but once they hear the number - it changes the entire conversation.  Ridiculous... what are women supposed to do after the age of 28? Jump off a bridge?   It seemed inconceivable to me that anyone would think anyone, a woman specifically is supposed to give up on their dreams and goals after a certain age because they are considered "Not Valuable or not Talented or Marketable".
So I did what any stubborn Greek Girl with a fire and a dream in her gut would do - I stuffed cotton balls in my ears and ran around singing... "La la la la la I can't hear you". I continued to pursue my dream, regardless of what the gatekeepers told me.
So I started to just let people think what they want, I just avoided the topic.  I am also an actor which is about "pretending".  You can be young and play old or old and play young.
I did even sneak into an American Idol audition one time with a fake id only to be pulled aside after I sang by the casting director and told: "Honey you have a gorgeous voice, keep on singing and do not ever stop. However you are never going to be picked by one of these shows... This is TV we have to start in one place and show an arch to the top.  You are way too polished".  My heart sank on the verge of tears.  So I picked myself up by my bootstraps and pressed on.
I still audition for the ones that do not have an "age limit", even though I know that they have already made up their mind about me before I have ever opened my mouth to sing based to the answer to question #2 on the application - my age.  I go because I think maybe just maybe this one time they will put talent ahead of a sad shocking story.  It also does not help that I have a website with a large following on social media, so they google me and see all this stuff, and think I do not need any "help".
I don't have a sad shocking story... the most shocking thing about me is how long I have been working toward my dream without once ever considering giving up.
So... what is a girl with morals and values to do?  I keep going.  I keep making music, when and as I can and putting it out to you guys.  I am not complaining by any means - please do not get me wrong. I chose to follow my dream and to not give up after almost everyone says it is not going to happen, if it were it would have happened by now.
Because I believe that if you have a dream - if you have a purpose, if you know like you know like you know that you were put on this earth to do something, that if you Never Give up, you Can achieve it. Whether it is to lose weight, to be an astronaut, whatever it is... You can do it.
So... how does this tie into this contest you might be wondering?  Well... making the music is not the only thing that takes resources; it is also putting it out to the masses.  There is no way an independent artist such as myself can possibly compete with the resources of a Beyonce, Kelly Clarkson, Katy Perry, Rihanna or any of the other artists who are on labels.
Winning the $100,000 in the Veewallvocals Contest, will enable me the chance to for once in my life to be able to put my music and message out to the masses.  To be evaluated for my art and talent, not for the day I was born.
No one can control what opportunities they have had or not had in their life.  Just because I have not yet had the legitimate proper "opportunity" does not mean I am not talented.  It just means it is not my time yet.  I know that God did not put music into me for no reason.
Winning, will give me the chance that the Mainstream Industry will not give me: 1. Because I am a Conservative 2. Because I do not have Pink hair and a Sad Shocking story 3. Because I am not 15 years old.
Talent is what matters, not age.  Age is irrelevant.  You can package a rock to sell if you need to, anything can be "packaged" and it is not like there is something wrong with my package anyhow. However the music industry has a nasty little habit of putting the age, "package and sad shocking story" before talent.
If you are tired of seeing trash everywhere you look, on TV, on the radio, in magazines... If you are not happy about the new season the Kardashain's, and wonder as I do when and why it became cool to sing in your underpants for guys or girls.  Society is manipulated by Pop Culture.  It has been going on for years.  If you desire to see a change in the moral fabric of our society, then there needs to be people in the Mainstream pop culture who actually have decent morals and values.  Actor goes to rehab, great give them another movie or TV role, singer beats his girlfriend - awesome lets give him another Grammy.  Better yet lets buy more of his singer girlfriend’s records after she goes back to him... Someone please stop the insanity.
So If you would like to see someone who has a dream in their heart - who has morals and values and does not sing in their underware to finally after 25 years of banging on doors get an opportunity. Then I am asking you to please join me in voting in the veewall contest.
It is Simple, Easy and Free.
  1. Visit Veewall.com & register.
  2. Confirm Registration via email
  3. Vote Once Daily Through 4/29.
Ava Aston "I Carry You With Me" is up for voting now:
Thank you for your support helping to get my music & message out to the masses.
Blessings, Love & Music~
Ava xox
P/S: Greek Girl doesn't usually do "voting" contests, but hey for 100K this girl has got to try!

No comments:

Post a Comment