Monday, November 17, 2014

Break The Internet

OK we get it... you want everyone in the entire world to see you naked. Dully noted.
OK we get it... you want everyone in the entire world to see you naked. Duly noted.
Now that some of the dust has settled and almost everyone in the universe has seen Kim Kardashian naked yet again I thought it would be a good time to add my two Greek cents to the controversy. Anyone who has been reading my blog for any amount of time just had to know I would have something to say about this muckery.
First to the people who say Kim Kardashian has absolutely no talent whatsoever and that she is famous for "not being talented", I beg to differ. Mrs. West is extremely talented in keeping her mug or in this case her naked body in the public eye. Thus further driving her fame and income. So to that I have to say she does have a talent, she is a talented business woman.
What I don't understand is why is she and so many others like her today are so fixated on people seeing their naked bodies? Really I just don't get it. I mean private parts, big deal, we all have them. Why on earth are people so obsessed with the entire world seeing them naked anymore? Is nothing sacred?
For that matter why don't we all just run around naked? Everyone from babies to grandpas. It would be a whole lot cheaper not to have to buy clothes and shoes. Heck why not break all the rules and just do everything in public. Like maybe have sex with whatever or whomever we want any time we want. How about just making it the "norm" to go to the bathroom in public while were at it too?
Seriously leads me to wonder where is the line. Why does it keep moving so far, where will it stop, if it stops at all? Makes me very sad for the generation coming up today. My little niece and nephews are growing up in a generation that isn't striving to become Dr.'s, Lawyers, Scientists, Astronauts, to cure Cancer or Ebola... but instead are striving to get the perfect "selfie" and to be "famous". To really make something of their lives, you know by making it into American Idol, Dancing With The Stars or the ultimate sign you have really made it in today's society, to get your own Reality TV show.
Makes me wish Kim Kardashian or someone would actually just break the internet once and for all. That it would be broken so I couldn't even write this blog. No Facebook, no Instagram, no Google. Maybe then people would stop trying to "capture" the perfect moment and start living their moments. Actually get their heads out of their devices and talk to each other again. Or shall I say "learn how" to talk to each other.
Has anyone besides me noticed that the more "connected" we become as a society the less we are communicating? It is happening everywhere you turn, from the workplace to shopping, even eating out. People seem more and more to have a difficult time making eye contact, and they appear to be so wrapped up in their own noggins that they are not even actively participating in what they are doing. Whether it's taking your order at Panera, the person ringing you up at the store, even at places you would think they would be paying attention, like your doctors office. I could sit here and relate over a dozen episodes from just the last two weeks that would make you wonder if someone from the invasion of the body snatchers hadn't kidnapped some peoples brains. Never in my lifetime have I seen people so disengaged in their present activity.
I'm guessing you have seen and experienced similar situations in your own life. Now I know "Change" is supposed to be good and sometimes it is.  Not all change though actually is good. Better, faster, sooner, NOW... The "Now Generation". We're moving so stinking fast that we don't even have time to experience the present moment. For crying out loud this year stores have even moved "Black Friday" up by rolling out the deals two weeks before Thanksgiving. Some stores are going to be open all day on Thanksgiving and I just heard that Kmart will be open for 48 hrs straight... What the heck in the world? How can anyone "Give Thanks" if we are focused on getting to the next deal?
Slow down. Speaking of slowing down, so I'm sitting on the couch Friday night with my husband minding my own business. It's about 6:30pm EST and were eating dinner. I look up to see a commercial for a new cable show. Before I even realize what it is for, smack dab on my TV is a threesome, you read right, a threesome. Two girls and a guy were sitting in a bathtub naked on my TV screen at 6:30pm on a Friday night. I almost dumped my dunkins on my lap. Now if you think your squeaky clean Greek Girl next door was shocked to see that image, just imagine what the little kids who were innocently watching TV at the time must have been thinking. Especially those who do not have solid loving parents to guide them.
Which leads me to a very important question. How is it that the FCC can fine someone for saying the "F" word on TV or the radio, but think it perfectly acceptable to advertise a "Me'nage a' Trois" on cable television at 6:30PM. For that matter why would a network put a show centered around a newly divorced woman with children and her sex life on TV? I mean really... who cares? The writers in Hollyweird really can not come up with anything more interesting to do a new show about? Bueller, hello calling Ferris Bueller.
Personally I would love to see people like Kim Kardashian using their "celebrity" status to sprinkle more positive into the world. Can you imagine if people like her used their finances and influence to set a positive example for kids growing up today? Just let your mind wander on that for a minute. I'm not saying everyone should dress like a church nun and retreat from the world going back into the 1950's.
Imagine how much impact could be made in peoples lives if celebrities actually paid attention to the fact that people are watching them, and they are influencing future generations whether they want to or not. We the people have a choice. Personally I'm  speaking as a Christian who is bothered by what I see in society today. This isn't just for Christians though, this question is to everyone. We have a choice. We can either retreat from the world and pop culture, or we can dig our heels in and decide we are going to impact it in a positive way. Whether that impact is something as simple as buying or not buying or watching things that don't fall in line with your values. Or using your gifts and talents to positively impact the world through business, art, music, and culture. Because if we don't do it, someone else will... Ask yourself honestly, do you like what you see?
Blessings, Love & Music ~
Ava xo
www.avaaston.com

No comments:

Post a Comment