Monday, January 22, 2018

"But what about the Dreamers?"

Happy Monday! New day, new week, first blog of the New Year for me and I was all set to write a nice cheerful positive blog about my new song. That was until I made the mistake of calling my mom before I sat down to do it. That was mistake number one. Mistake number two, putting the news on in the background while I wrote. Mistake number three, not having my Dunkins before I did it, must get coffee. Oops, I’m doing it again…

WARNING: This blog is not politically correct, sensitive individuals who tend to melt should an opinion different than that of their own should appear (aka snowflakes), read at your own risk.

By now you have probably heard about the “Government Shutdown”, that is unless you’ve spend the last few weeks under a rock. One thing is certain, regardless what channel you’re watching I can sum it up in three words: “It’s their fault”. Apparently congress never learned the lesson as kids that whenever you point a finger at as someone else, it’s good to keep in mind there will always be three more fingers pointing back at you.

Seriously though, there are many places people can garner information from. It’s no secret that many channels that like to call themselves “News” are more opinion and less actual facts. It’s also no secret that Greek girl rolls to the right on most everything related to politics. However, this whole congressional temper tantrum being led by Chuck Schumer isn’t about left or right or any of the negative noise the talking heads in the news are spending so much time yapping their traps about. At the end of the day the only thing in my opinion that should matter boils down to one word… Military.

So here’s the thing, the only thing that should matter in this whole debacle is, when did a non US Citizen become more important than legal citizens serving in the United States Military? I can hear it now, it usually goes a little something like this: “You’re a racist, how insensitive, how could you want to send kids who have lived here their entire lives away and deport them, you heartless monster.” Well, let me tell you how. See there is a word people seem to keep forgetting in this whole debate, “illegal”.

Let me ask, what happens if you break the law in another country? That’s right you face the consequences of that action, and in many instances you go to jail. In many countries that is a very unpleasant place to be, and in fact some don’t even make it out alive. Just ask Otto Warmbier who died after being released from a North Korean prison last year.  

Why do we have laws if we are not going to enforce them? Heck why not just let all the people locked up for things like murder and drugs go free? Why are we spending millions of tax dollars a year supporting people in the prison system that are incarcerated? Why are Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi not worried about those poor souls who have to spend so many days locked up in a lonely jail cell? Don’t they matter? Good gravy.

At the end of the day they are dragging something into a bill that has absolutely nothing in the world to do with spending. DACA and Dreamers are literally being put ahead of active duty Military personnel. Don’t believe me? Check Military.com for yourself and see what happens to active duty military and their families in a shutdown: https://www.military.com/daily-news/2018/01/18/how-government-shutdown-would-impact-pay-benefits.html

I’m sorry, call me crazy but I was raised (by a legal immigrant mind you) that American Citizens especially our active duty Military should be more important than someone who broke our laws to come here. Never mind the strain and financial burden the illegal immigration situation puts on the healthcare system. I know how heartless of me to think that working Americans who cannot or barely afford their Obama care premiums should come before someone who broke the law.

Gee, I wonder what would happen to Americans who illegally immigrate to another county and expect to receive free healthcare, schooling and in many cases yes even housing. I’m sure that would go over well. All sarcasm aside, I really cannot even wrap my noggin around how it is legal for Democrats to hold the entire country hostage and drag a non-financial related issue into a financial spending bill.

In reality it is like a child having a temper tantrum. “Nope, I’m not going to listen until I get my way.” Good grief Charlie Brown, but that is just not how our government is set up. Not what our founders intended, and not in any way shape or form productive for anyone, especially for the American people who are footing the bill for this entire episode.

No I’m not heartless, yes I care about people, all people, even illegal immigrants. I just do not think they should be put ahead of our Military and legal citizens who were born here. There is a way to immigrate to our country and it needs to be done legally. What in the world are we teaching these Dreamers anyway if we reward them for breaking the law. I know I can hear it now, the Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski’s of the world jumping up and down “but it wasn’t even the kids, it was a parent so why punish the children?” Again I’ll tell you why, because laws were broken. Period, end of the story. Why on earth are we going to enforce “some” laws and not others?

I really hope that this whole thing comes to an end and quickly. My heart is heavy for our Service men and women who are on the front lines and have been put to the back burner. How is the wife of the veteran at home supposed to pay the mortgage? It’s totally upside down and I for one am ready for it to be put right side up again and quickly.

Blessings, Love and Music ~
Ava xo
www.avaaston.com




No comments:

Post a Comment