Friday, February 24, 2012

Am I Ugly?



Am I Ugly?... NO You're not, you're beautiful!
Loyal readers of my blog know that the Greek Girl has been known to temporarily lose her filter from time to time.  Well, I have to warn anyone who decides to read further:

WARNING:  Help, my filter has fallen off and I can't pick it up! That's because my noggin erupted today when I was on Yahoo and I read about the viral "Am I Ugly" videos.
This epidemic is so sad - and yet, so insane at the same time. It really makes my Greek ears bleed.  Is anyone shocked that we have literally an entire generation of young girls and boys growing up with serious self-esteem, image, values and more problems than I can even begin to list here?
Why on earth are these kids growing up so messed up, confused and losing their childhoods? Jeepers, I can't think of one reason.  The reason is, because I can think of a bajillion examples of such positive messages and images for them.  I mean with some top-notch tv shows instilling morals and values into their impressionable young noggins - I can't imagine why they would be so insecure and broken (yep, that was as sarcastic as it sounded.)  Let's have a little look see at a little list of  their favorite influential shows: American Idol, America's Got Talent, The Voice, So you Think you Can Dance, Dance Mom's, So You Think Your Mom Can Dance (coming soon, I'm sure) Toddler's and Tiara's, The Jersey Shore, My Super Sweet Sixteen, Keeping Up with the Kardashian's, Ice Loves Coco, The Girl's Next Door, Khole and Lamar, Kourtney and Kim Take NY, Kendra, Scouted, Bridalplasty, The Dance Scene, 16 and Pregnant, 15 and Pregnant, 14 and Pregnant, 13 and Pregnant, A Kardashian and Pregnant, Teen Mom, I Just Want My Pants Back, America's Best Dance Crew, Jackass, I Used to Be Fat, I Used To be A Fat JackAss, I Used To be A Fat Jack Ass Now I'm Just A Kardashian, Made, The Real World, Mob Wives, Single Ladies, Basketball Wives, FootBall Wives, Boring Golf Wives, Love and Hip Hop, The Real Housewives, Where's My Record Deal Mr. Bricks, need I go on?.....
Oh, and let us not forget the Grammy's this year.  Was it just me or did anyone else have to turn off the TV because Nicki Minaj's performance (if I dare to use that word to describe what she did) burned their eyeballs out?
What on EARTH are we telling kids - and adults even for that matter today?  Has anyone really stopped to ponder this, or do they just not give a crap? Why don't we all just throw up our arms in defeat and join Mr. Bricks at McDonald's for a plate of McRibs and celebrate the decline of our society. What shows like this tell people - whether you want to admit it or not, is that if you do not get on TV, if you do not get "famous"- for literally any reason, then you have no value.  If you do not look a certain way, wear a particular size, wear the right clothes, listen to the right music, do your hair right, and on and on and on - then you have no value.  What is being pushed down the throats of the American public at large is a big giant truckload of Muckery if you ask me.
By perpetually pushing this "you must be famous" gotta get a "viral video" agenda, the entertainment media are literally squashing the heart and soul of an entire generation. Where are the future Dr's, lawyers, rocket scientist's, politicians, engineers, teachers, firemen, police officers, airplane pilots, astronauts, entrepreneurs? For crying out loud a good chef makes over $100,000 per year.  Why, why, why is it that everyone wants to be famous? And why are so many young girls loosing their way and growing up with so many insecurities, hurts and a great big giant gaping void? Well,  the Greek girl is going to tell you why... it's because they are looking to people like the Kardashian's, Nicki Manaj, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, MTV, Snooki and her slick Jersey Shore cast/bed mates to measure themselves to. Young girls are listening to the words and messages in their songs, watching their videos and their little coconuts are jammed full of confusing messages. So much so that teenage & pre-teenage girls are turning to posting these disturbing videos on YouTube asking if they are ugly.  As Lucy would say, GOOD GRIEF CHARLIE BROWN!!!!
 
Example: Has anyone ever really listened to the words to "Last Friday Night" by Katy Perry?  Mind you, she spoofed Rebecca Black in the video and she even invited the 13-year-old to perform the song with her on stage at a concert this summer. Now I don't know where little Rebecca's mom was, but if she even had only half of her noggin working properly she would not have allowed her daughter to perform that song with Katy.
Think my Greek nogggin has quit working? Not yet -- just check this out, you'll see what I mean...
Lyrics: "Last Friday Night" by Katy Perry
There's a stranger in my bed,
There's a pounding my head
Glitter all over the room
Pink flamingos in the pool
I smell like a minibar
DJ's passed out in the yard
Barbie's on the barbeque
There's a hickie or a bruise
Pictures of last night
Eended up online
I'm screwed
Oh well
It's a black top blur
But I'm pretty sure it ruled
Last Friday night
Yeah we danced on tabletops
And we took too many shots
Think we kissed but I forgot
Last Friday night
Yeah we maxed our credit cards
And got kicked out of the bar
So we hit the boulevard
Last Friday night
We went streaking in the park
Skinny dipping in the dark
Then had a menage a trois
Last Friday night
Yeah I think we broke the law
Always say we're gonna stop-op
Whoa-oh-oah
This Friday night
Do it all again
This Friday night
Do it all again
Trying to connect the dots
Don't know what to tell my boss
Think the city towed my car
Chandelier is on the floor
With my favorite party dress
Warrants out for my arrest
Think I need a ginger ale
That was such an epic fail
Pictures of last night
Ended up online
I'm screwed
Oh well
It's a blacked out blur
But I'm pretty sure it ruled
Now call me old fashioned, but I just don't think a song about hmm let's see, a menage a' trois, drinking, getting arrested, skinny dipping, not knowing what you did because you were so wasted is really a song that any thirteen year old should listen to, or sing on stage for that matter. just sayin. When I was that age I was writing and singing songs about kittens, unicorns and fairies....and I hadn't even met Mr. Bricks yet!
I have a message to young girls everywhere.  STUFF YOU EARS FULL OF COTTON BALLS, and stop looking to these seriously misguided people for your value and self-worth.  You are perfect just the way you are, no matter who you are, how old you are, how skinny or fat you are, what kind of family you come from, and no matter what you look like.  How do I know you are perfect?  Because you are God's creation - and he does not make junk.  Each and every one of us has value, we all have talents, and abilities unique to each of us.  We are all special, regardless of what TV tries to make us think we need to "be" in order to be special.  You are perfect just the way you are.  So shine, be you, and do not let anyone put out your fire.  
I wrote my newest song "I Don't Even Care" because I was tired of people telling me what I was supposed to do or be in order to be successful in the music industry.  I've been at it a long time, and I have still not yet achieved my goals.  However I will not let anyone stop me from being myself while on my way to where I am going.  I am me, just the way I am, and if the entertainment industry does not like it, well.... They can just kiss it.  What I am saying to young kids everywhere is NO YOU ARE NOT UGLY!  You are perfect just the way you are.
Please watch, listen and share:



Blessings, Love & Music ~
Ava xox
www.avaaston.com

No comments:

Post a Comment