Monday, December 17, 2012

Why


these are handmade angels set outside the sandy hook elementary school vigil after the horrible massacre that took 26 lives in New Town Connecticut
Sandy Hook's Angels
My heart was very sad to hear about the unthinkable events that unfolded a few days ago at an elementary school in Connecticut.  When I sat down to write this weeks blog which is usually full of all sorts of "muckery" (aka funny stories about the episodes that are my life),  my first thought was to try to lift people's spirits with some humor and totally avoid the subject.  However after a few drafts about other topics, all I wanted to do was to share what was on my heart about the tragedy.
So many people are asking "why".  They are horrified that this kind of violence could hit so close to home and take so many innocent victims.  The pundits are quick to yelp for tighter gun control laws, to argue, to point fingers here there and everywhere.
I don't think any of those things are going to have productive results.  Nor do I think they will curb the violence that is plaguing us.  I think as a society we need to ask ourselves a much deeper question.  How did we get onto this track.  Could it perhaps be that something is broken?  Could it be that the invisible lines that people should not and do not cross have all but been erased from society and life as we know it.
Something keeps running over and over in my mind ever since this happened.  A video that I have seen on youtube many times.  It is a speech from the Great Paul Harvey, which  was done back in 1965, set to a video with images that are chilling.  It is titled "Warning for a Nation".  The idea that he was talking about these things back in 1965, and to see the effects of the removal of the word God from practically everywhere in our country has resulted in so much chaos and confusion, it really scares me.

It scares me not only because of how accurate his predictions were and are, but I wonder how many more innocent people will leave this earth before society wakes up to the reality that when there is no moral compass to guide people, when family units are dysfunctional and falling apart, when mediocrity is not only celebrated but glorified, when people are conditioned that we should and can and deserve to have everything "Now", and that everything has to be fair, that you can not discipline your children, when sex and violence are glorified and celebrated, when we make idols out of reality TV stars, and I can go on and on and on.  When we continue to do these things, to teach these things and to encourage these things, we should not be surprised when we have sick individuals popping up left and right that do terrible acts that get worse by the event.

The moral compass in our society in our world today is broken.  In order to stop this madness we need to fix it.  I do not have all of the answers and I am not an expert.  It is just my humble Greek opinion that we need to restore the Moral compass back into our society in order to stop the insanity.  Evil exists, it is real and right now in our world today it is overshadowing the light.
My heart goes out to everyone who was so tragically effected by the events of this past week.  My prayer is that people will begin wake up to what is going on and that we be able to repair what is broken.
Blessings,
Ava :D xox

No comments:

Post a Comment