Monday, March 24, 2014

God's Not Dead

"God's Not Dead, He's Surely Alive.  He's living on the inside, roaring like a lion!!" - Newsboys
"God's Not Dead, He's Surely Alive. He's living on the inside, roaring like a lion!!" - Newsboys
True story.... in my first year of college (yes I did actually go to college), I came home all upset and my mom asked what was the matter? I proceeded to tell her how my Biology professor had asked the class a question earlier that day..."who in the room was a Christian and believed in the story of God and or Jesus?". Not wanting to deny my faith I  raised my hand along with a few others in the class. That was when he decided it was a good idea to not only mock but also challenge us about it. He went on to further say, "If we believe in God then we have to prove his existence." So I went home understandably upset, and not wanting to be embarrassed, spent most of the way home thinking of how to proceed.
Now, don't get me wrong, I know my Bible and all that but was not nearly as vocal about my faith then as I am now, as I was just a young Greek Girl at the time. So back to when I arrived home... If you guessed that my mom was very perturbed when I told her what happened, you guessed right. She couldn't believe that a professor would think it was his place to do such a thing. Now, if you know anything about my mom let's just say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, and if you know how I am with my Big Fat Greek opinion, then you can get an idea of how my mom is.   
She could not believe her ears when I told her the details of the days episode. In a swoosh she marched off to her bedroom and grabbed her trusty Bible, a legal pad and a pen. In no time she was marching back toward me and sat me down at the kitchen table where she proceeded to give me a sermon. Probably the most extensive Bible study I have ever had in my life. It was like an encyclopedia of knowledge poured out of her noggin. So there I was armed with all sorts of ammunition when I went back to school the next day. I strapped on my favorite sneakers and marched my butt into class with a notepad chockfull of notes and said (beneath a mischievous grin) something to the effect of, "well... here you go." It was great because it actually shut him up, thanks mom!
I felt so good and he actually left me alone. It was short lived though as it was not even two days later my English professor decided that the class had to watch the film "The Last Temptation of Christ", starring Willem Defoe. I couldn't believe what my ears were hearing. If you don't know anything about that movie, just image "Jesus of Nazareth" in the Red Light District. I couldn't believe this was happening again. So I went home to inform my mom of the newest chapter in the college indoctrination episode. She then did what any good Godly mother would do and made a big stink. She called the college and demanded that her daughter not watch that stupid and twisted movie. Needless to say, I did not have to watch the movie and I was able to do my report on another topic.
Now fast forward umpteen years later and low-and-behold, we have a movie hitting the theater's called, "God's Not Dead." It's about almost the same thing, a liberal professor that takes it upon himself to ridicule and belittle the faith of a student who believes in God and Jesus. Just another instance where liberal logic unloads itself in our society and how some have taken to demonizing and tearing down people of faith. Ironically Christians are known for being positive and helpful loving people, even to those who do not share our values or faith. Something these Liberal professors love to profess is how we shouldn't "impose our Christian beliefs on others", yet they do not see the hypocrisy when they think it's a good idea to impose their liberal ideology, kumbaya craziness, and global warming gobbley goop on others people's children, just sayin.
Anyway, back to the movie. I think it's so cool that this storyline is something that actually happened to me and it's now on the Big Screen for the world to see. I am so thrilled that it has had only a limited opening and has already grossed over $8million in less than 800 theaters worldwide. In fact it came in 5th overall for the weekend on box office totals in openings this past weekend.
Since my mom and step-dad stopped by on their way home from Florida we didn't get to see it on opening weekend. However, you can count on one thing... where I will be this week. I am going to wrap my hot little hands around a popcorn and CocaCola in a dark theater with my sweetie as we watch and celebrate that, "GOD IS NOT DEAD"!
Blessings, Love & Music ~
Ava xo
www.avaaston.com

2 comments:

  1. Brought memories of my heathen days as a college student days. It is amazing how we could fall into such a secular world. Thank God for bringing me back as well. Jose'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thank God for movies like this. All Christians should support them as we never know who will be watching and will turn to Christ. I too was in the same state as you as a nonbeliever going to college and falling into the "world" until finally meeting a Christian girl who set me straight and to keep her I had to change my whole life as an out of control college student, "enjoying" what college was all about, sex, drunkenness, waking up in places you didn't even know with people you never met. Maybe that would a good movie to make without the explicit scenes. Praise God for HIS gift of salvation. Thank you for allowing me to share a life saved by HIS grace!!

    ReplyDelete