Friday, January 28, 2011

Pernicious

Have you ever heard a word somewhere and you we're too clueless and/or embarrassed to say that you don't know what it means? But when you heard the word for the first time it had a magical effect on your coconut! It's like that time in 3rd grade when your eyes lock in on that special person that makes you totally forget about everything else. Just seeing this special person makes you want to give up your graham crackers and milk. It's a weird warm feeling like when you were little and peed your pants and you didn't know why your insides felt like cold spaghetti, but they did. That's exactly what hearing a new cool word does to me, minus the peeing the pants part.
Your new BWF (best word forever) is so cool sounding that you just want to run home and fill your noggin with everything about it so you can start using your new BWF to seem semi-intelligent in your next conversation.  Hey fake it until you make it. That's how I roll - just sayin'. I shouldn't be letting you in on all of my Greek Blonde secrets.
Here is my newest BWF that I recently heard at a dinner party.
per·ni·cious
–adjective
1. causing insidious harm or ruin; ruinous; injurious; hurtful:pernicious teachings; a pernicious lie.
2. deadly; fatal: a pernicious disease.
3. Obsolete . evil; wicked.

I love this new word. Seriously. Not as much as I love coffee or sneakers, but I do have a very strong "word crush" on it.  After I looked up the word pernicious and finally had a grasp of what it meant, I was ready to unleash my newest BWF  on unsuspecting family and friends. Shortly there after I received a phone call from my manager Mr. Bricks. He was too easy.
Me: So Mr. Bricks, are you going to have one of those Pernicious McRib's for lunch?
Mr. Bricks: Whatchyoutakingaboutwillis?
Me: You know Mr. Bricks with all of that fake processed pork in the McRib you are liable to contract some sort of pernicious disease.
Mr. Bricks: Pern-i - what?  Hey Ava are you talking Greek again?
Me: Are you kidding me? You mean you don't know what the word pernicious means?  You need to expand your vocabulary Mr. Bricks.
And then Mr. Bricks' lazy eye started wandering again.
Blessings,
Ava
xox

No comments:

Post a Comment