Monday, January 10, 2011

Undercover Boss

If you had an opportunity to find out what other people really thought about you, would you want to know? You know, like what is their first impression of you? I certainly don't lead my life worrying about what other's think about me, but as a fun little exercise I wanted to find out. Coincidentally, Miley Cyrus is actually filming a movie right now called, "So Undercover." Cyrus plays a tough private investigator hired by the FBI to go undercover in the one place they're unable to infiltrate - a college sorority.
Anyway, for those who have been following my blog know that I am an actress and a recording artist and that I have a manager and his name is Mr. Bricks. It is Mr. Bricks' job to go around and let everyone know about the Greek Blonde Girl and to get me auditions for my acting career and to get me a record deal.
I usually call my manager Mr. Bricks. Once when I first met him, I asked him if he would mind if I just called him Bricks. Well, his one lazy eye started twitching. I knew after that it was never a good idea just to call him Bricks.
He actually told me it was a sign of respect to call him Mr. Bricks. So he said he would prefer if I called him Mr. Bricks. Ok, Mr. Bricks it is. It's no big deal really, but whatever, I was just asking. When he is in a good mood and there is no twitching from the bum eye, he does let me call him Boss. I am sure it is a power thing to be called Boss, because I actually see the dude smirk when I call him Boss. And it's not a good smirk either - just saying.
Well, my little experiment was something you might see on NBC Dateline or that TV show called Undercover Boss.   I wanted to send Mr. Bricks undercover to a place where I go all of the time to find out what their impressions were of me.  Would it be positive, would it be negative? I didn't know. I figured, just roll the dice and let's see what comes up!
Well I'm not a fancy pants CEO, like on Undercover Boss but I'd love to find out what others think about me.  I think deep down inside we all want acceptance, right?
Ok, so I  put a wig on Mr. Bricks aka Boss and gave him a cheap pair of sunglasses for his undercover work.  Off he went. Here is a written transcript of what happened.
Location: Dunkin Donuts - Somewhere in Manhattan
Undercover Boss (aka Mr. Bricks in disguise)  - Good morning
Donut Employee - Can I get you a freshly glazed donut today Dude?
Undercover Boss - Ummm, sure, why don't I take a 1/2 dozen of your glazed donuts with chocolate sprinkles, to go.
NOTE TO SELF: (Never send Mr. Bricks anywhere near food. What was I thinking?)
Donut Employee: Dude - Is that a wig you're wearing?
Undercover Boss:  shhhh, I'm trying to get information on some one. Don't blow my cover. I wanna show you a picture of this person and tell me if you recognize her?
Have you ever seen this girl before?
Donut employee: That's one of our regular customers Dude. She comes in here like every morning for a cup of coffee . Dude that chick is pretty high-strung.
Under Cover Boss: She's Greek
Donut Employee: I know Dude, we all know that. She tells everyone she is Greek.
Undercover Boss: Interesting. Maybe TMI.
Donut Employee: So Dude...why are you stalking her? You're not some wacko are you?
Undercover Boss: I am not stalking her I am just gathering data on her.
Donut Employee: Dude, I thought that's what Facebook was for.
Undercover Boss: Yes true, but just because she has 9,000+ fans (and really wants to get to 10,000 soon) I still want to find out more about her.  Like, do you think she is a nice person or not?
Donut Employee: Am I getting Punk'd? Where's Ashton? is there a camera somewhere? Am I gonna be on MTV?
Undercover Boss: No, this is just me, Mr. Bricks...ahem, I mean I am just an unidentified guy looking to find out what people think about Ava Aston.
Donut Employee: Is that her real name Dude? We all just called her Blondie.
Undercover Boss: Yes her name is Ava.  She's Greek.
Donut Employee: Dude. I know that.
Undercover Boss: So what is your impressions of her?
Donut Employee: Dude, what's up with your one eye? That's pretty gnarly Dude. It keeps jumping around like a fish at Sea World.
Undercover Boss: I'd rather not talk about it. In fact, can I just get my 6 glazed donuts and get out of here?
Donut Employee: Sure Dude. But don't you still really want to know what I think about Ava? It's all good.
Undercover Boss: No..I think maybe it doesn't really matter what others think about of us. As long as we are happy with ourselves and treat others with dignity. That's what really makes our true character, not what others think about us. I also don't think it hurts to lend a helping hand to those in need from time to time.
Donut Employee: Wow, Dude that was deep.
Ok, the bad news is even after sending Mr. Bricks undercover I never did find out what total strangers think about me, but I guess it doesn't really matter does it? The good news is, Mr. Bricks got 6 free glazed donuts with chocolate sprinkles. The Donut Employee forgot to charge him.
Blessings,
Ava
xox

No comments:

Post a Comment