Monday, April 18, 2011

Bright Star


Ben Whishaw and Abbie Cornish star as John Keats and Fanny Whishaw in Jane Campions s "Bright Star." (Image courtesy Apparition)
According to the FreeDictionary.Org., which is where I started today's blog because I'm Greek and too cheap to go to ExpensiveDictionary.Org. to look up the various meanings to the words bright and star.
I did this because, well I'm bored and I'm on a road trip to Florida. I'm traveling with my aunt and her cat and she's making me all itchy.  The cat, not my aunt is making me itchy. I'm allergic to cats. And my manager Mr. Bricks texted me that he got an email from some hot shot TV executive in Hollywood who said that he thought I was a "bright star."  My blonde must be showing, because I really have no idea if that was good or bad.
So as we drove down the East Coast in bumper-to-bumper traffic I was googling the words bright and star to see if it was compliment or an insult. It sounds very positive, but then again so does the term, short bus - and I know better on that one. I give as much of my spare time to any and all people who have ever been teased about riding to school on a short bus. In support of my special friends, I recently told Mr. Bricks that my next tour bus is going to be a short bus.
So here is what discovery my iPhone google search yielded:
Bright
ADJECTIVE (10)
1. emitting or reflecting light readily or in large amounts;
- Example: "the sun was bright and hot"
- Example: "a bright sunlit room"
2. having striking color;
- Example: "bright dress"
- Example: "brilliant tapestries"
- Example: "a bird with vivid plumage"
[syn: brightbrilliantvivid]
3. characterized by quickness and ease in learning;
- Example: "some children are brighter in one subject than another"
- Example: "smart children talk earlier than the average"
[syn: brightsmart]
4. having lots of light either natural or artificial;
- Example: "the room was bright and airy"
- Example: "a stage bright with spotlights"
5. made smooth and bright by or as if by rubbing; reflecting a sheen or glow;
- Example: "bright silver candlesticks"
- Example: "a burnished brass knocker"
- Example: "she brushed her hair until it fell in lustrous auburn waves"
- Example: "rows of shining glasses"
- Example: "shiny black patents"
[syn: brightburnishedlustrousshiningshiny]
6. splendid;
- Example: "the bright stars of stage and screen"
- Example: "a bright moment in history"
- Example: "the bright pageantry of court"
7. not made dim or less bright;
- Example: "undimmed headlights"
- Example: "surprisingly the curtain started to rise while the houselights were still undimmed"
[syn: undimmedbright]
8. clear and sharp and ringing;
- Example: "the bright sound of the trumpet section"
- Example: "the brilliant sound of the trumpets"
[syn: brightbrilliant]
9. characterized by happiness or gladness;
- Example: "bright faces"
- Example: "all the world seems bright and gay"
10. full or promise;
- Example: "had a bright future in publishing"
- Example: "the scandal threatened an abrupt end to a promising political career"
- Example: "a hopeful new singer on Broadway"
[syn: brighthopefulpromising]
STAR
1.
a. A self-luminous celestial body consisting of a mass of gas held together by its own gravity in which the energy generated by nuclear reactions in the interior is balanced by the outflow of energy to the surface, and the inward-directed gravitational forces are balanced by the outward-directed gas and radiation pressures.
b. Any of the celestial bodies visible at night from Earth as relatively stationary, usually twinkling points of light.
c. Something regarded as resembling such a celestial body.
2. A graphic design having five or more radiating points, often used as a symbol of rank or merit.
3.
a. An artistic performer or athlete whose leading role or superior performance is acknowledged.
b. One who is highly celebrated in a field or profession.
4.
a. An asterisk (*).
b. The star key on a telephone: For customer service, press star.
5. A white spot on the forehead of a horse.
6. A planet or constellation of the zodiac believed in astrology to influence personal destiny.
7. stars The future; destiny. Often used with the.
adj.
1. Outstanding or famous, especially in performing something: a star researcher; a star figure skater.
2. Of or relating to a star or stars.
So over all I think it was a compliment, unless of course you used and the #8 definition of Bright and combined it with the #5 definition of Star, then I would be A Bright white spot in the shape of a trumpet on the forehead of a horse. Then that would not be a compliment.
or  #9 definition of Bright combined with #1a definition of Star - I would have a nice bright face, but be full of gas. Then I would be Mr. Bricks.
Blessings,
Ava
xox

No comments:

Post a Comment