Thursday, November 11, 2010

You are My Hero!


                                        
                                         "I Carry You With Me" -- Ava Aston

Today is Veterans Day here in the United States. I couldn't think of a more fitting tribute than showcasing my song, "I Carry With You" because the music video's theme is a tribute to honor our fallen troops. All Veterans and active members of the military and their families are heros in my book!
Veterans Day was formerly called Armistice Day. The original reason for Armistice Day was to honor the end of World War I. The first legal US holiday observing Armistice Day took place on November 11, 1918.  In 1938, legislation was passed, whereas it stated that November 11 was "dedicated to the cause of world peace and to be hereafter celebrated and known as 'Armistice Day.'"
On June 1, 1954 the word Armistice was replaced with Veterans and November 11 became a day to honor all American Veterans from all wars. I am a huge  fan of the US Military. God willing someday I will have the honor of travelling on a USO tour and will be able to show my appreciation first hand to the troops on the ground.
Here are the words from President Eisenhower to Harvey V. Higley, Administrator of Veterans' Affairs, designating him, Chairman, Veterans Day National committee.
The White House Office
October 8, 1954
Dear Mr. Higley:
I have today signed a proclamation calling upon all of our citizens to observe Thursday, November 11, 1954 as Veterans Day. It is my earnest hope that all veterans, their organizations, and the entire citizenry will join hands to insure proper and widespread observance of this day. With the thought that it will be most helpful to coordinate the planning, I am suggesting the formation of a Veterans Day National Committee. In view of your great personal interest as well as your official responsibilities, I have designated you to serve as Chairman. You may include in the Committee membership such other persons as you desire to select and I am requesting the heads of all departments and agencies of the Executive branch to assist the Committee in its work in every way possible.
I have every confidence that our Nation will respond wholeheartedly in the appropriate observance of Veterans Day, 1954.
Sincerely,
DWIGHT D. EISENHOWER
Pretty cool huh? Well when you see a Veteran today, or any active military personnel, today is a day to look them in the eyes, shake their hand and say "Thank You for Serving our Country!" I know I will be doing that!
Blessings,
Ava
xox
Visit me at www.avaaston.com

No comments:

Post a Comment