Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Word Is Alive

Good morning! I'd like a cup of coffee and some scrambled words.
When I say the word is alive I could mean a couple of different things. First I could be talking about a song from one of my favorite bands Casting Crowns or I could be saying that the word is alive because it has several different meanings.
Have you ever thought about how the exact same words scrambled up in a different order can drastically alter the meaning of a sentence?  With that said, are you a person who can say they love what they do...or are you a person who could only say that you do what you love? I think one finds happiness in what they do no matter what. While the other type of person might be a bit selfish and only do things that they find pleasure in. This kinda makes me dizzy just thinking about the differences between the two sentences. Time to strap on the soft helmet Punkin, were in for a bumpy ride.
I am very fortunate that the profession I have chosen (recording artist) affords me the opportunity where I can say that I do both. I love to sing and I sing because I love to.  I admit, there is a huge amount of ego involved in what I do, I won't deny it.
Many people have passions and interests in life that they love, but it's not exactly something they can make a living doing it. So, do you love what you do or do what you love?
My favorite scrambled sentence to ponder is:
Every home needs a dog scramble it to say, Every dog needs a home.
Here's another thing that will make your head spin just like Linda Blair's did in the  move The Exorcist. Words that use the same letters, but when the letters are scrambled around they mean something else. An example is  'Silent' and 'Listen' They are spelled with the exact same letters, but have total opposite meanings when scrambled.  What's up with that?
I have just appointed myself the word Czar.
I am not dyslexic, but as your new word czar and speaking on behalf of all the people effected with that disease, this scrambling of words and letters is just wrong and I am going to put a stop to it to make it easier for everyone.
It might come as a major shock to you but I wasn't the world's best student in school. Yep,  alert the media the perfect Greek facade is starting to crack. I just cared more about my music, cheerleading and boys than I did about the muckery of spelling  and the use of proper grammar.
So as the newly, self-appointed word Czar, from now on every word can only have one meaning! None of this crap when one word can have multiple meanings.  Like the word check. It can have three totally different meanings yet it is spelled the same way.
  • I will check to see if my dogs need food
  • Mr. Bricks needs to get me a check for last week's show
  • If you get a check on your math test it means the answer is wrong
Then there are homophones. These are words that sound alike but have different meanings and different spellings.
  • Won and One
  • Meet and Meat
  • There and Their
  • Too, Two and To
Confused yet? I know I am....
And there are Homographs. These are words that may or may not sound alike but have the same spelling but different meanings.
  • I tie a bow on Christmas gifts  - I take a bow after I sing
  • Have you read my blog today?  -  I like to read other people's blogs
Then there are my good friends I call the homonyms. These are words like my previous example of the word check, where two or more words have the same sound or spelling but different meanings.
  • I love my pet dog Punkin -- Maybe you would want to pet Punkin
  • I think Mr. Bricks could end up to stalk me - Mr. Bricks' favorite book is Jack and the Bean Stalk
  • My Computer just crashed, I will junk it  - Guys watch out, the TSA will touch your junk
Class dismissed.
Blessings,
Ava 'The  Word Czar" Aston
xox

No comments:

Post a Comment