Sunday, June 19, 2011

If You Don't Like The Weather Wait 5 Minutes



Don't forget your umbrella!
I travel a great deal and it seems like where ever I go there are always some old timers who love to have the same pat answers for questions that stumble out of my little Greek noggin.
Me: Wow, the weather is so unpredictable here
Old Timer:  We have a saying here that if you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes
Umm, that is what I was told in HooHoo, West Virginia, Waxahatchie, TX, Early Bird, Florida, Bumpass, Virginia, Embarrass, Wisconsin, Dead Horse, Alaska, Pig, Kentucky, Bullfrog, Utah, Snap Finger, Georgia, The Villages, Florida, etc, etc. The last time I was told that I timed it and it was actually more like 1 hour and 43 minutes in between major weather shifts. So for the old timers to be factually correct in Cluttsville, Alabama then they need to say, "If you don't like the weather here just wait 103 minutes."  Ok, I am a stickler for details ~ what can I say?
Another long-winded conversation about the weather with long-time residence of any community can start from a simple converstaion like this:
Me:  Wow, it is sure hot out today, I think I need to swap out my sneakers for my flip-flops.
Old Timer #1: Oh shucks this is nothing. You outta been here in the summer of '56. It was so hot the paint was peeling off the fire trucks
Old Timer #2: I remember the summer of  1943 when it was 120 degrees for 13 straight days
Hot enough to melt the paint off of fire trucks, seriously? 120 degrees for 13 straight days? I don't think so. Sounds like someone has been dipping into Mr. Bricks McRib sauce.
Blessings,
Ava
xox

No comments:

Post a Comment