Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Pizza - The Other Food Group

Mr. Bricks spent an hour trying to convince me that Pizza was a food group in the Government's new recently unveiled Choose my Plate new food pyramid. He even provided the above photograph as proof that Pizza is a food group that the Government wants us to eat on a regular basis. I'm unsure why he would not know I would realize the image was photoshopped for his benefit. Maybe it's my blonde hair? Could the chemicals be seeping into my noggin, ya think?
I like Pizza just like the next Greek girl does, but I also know the ingredients in Pizza can wreak havoc on a body if you don't work out on a regular basis if you eat a lot of it. I'm not saying I'm perfect, I am just saying I like Pizza ~ but I like my skinny jeans... so, if I eat a little Pizza, I work out a bit more. (Something Mr. Bricks knows nothing about, btw).
No matter what the food in question is when having a conversation with Mr. Bricks, if I like it & it's good for you, it's a sure thing that Mr. Bricks will make a face as if he is about to hurl.  I've tried on many occasions to convince him to eat healthier to no avail.  I tell him he can still have lots of yummy foods, just modified, or if that is not possible that everything in moderation. His reply... "oh so you mean I can have three McRibs per day instead of 5"?  See what I mean?
Some of the ways I make things healthier are pretty simple, but often overlooked. First I always eat every three hours, if not the horns will come out. I used to think it was just part of my Greekness, but I have since learned that your body is actually designed that way.  It's kind of like a fire, you can keep a fire burning by keeping kindling wood on it, but if you put a bunch of big logs onto a fire, the fire will burn out.  Same thing with your body, small meals every three hours while you're awake & you're golden.  It's what those little meals consist of that can lead to lots of Muckery.
The saying "you are what you eat" is really very true (and this may be why Mr. Bricks resembles a Mc Rib sandwich, just sayin).  Sodium is the hidden reason why so many people "think" they are eating healthy and are really not.  Most things have insane amounts of sodium in them, so you really need to check out the labels, especially so called "healthy" fast food.  I try to eat at home to avoid sodium, I stick to lean protein at every meal, lots of salad, and vegetables.  There are a few things I absolutely can not live without, well we already know ~ I'm not giving up coffee ever....  back to the list: Egg Whites, Lowfat Ranch, Olive Oil (teeny drizzles), Morningstar Farms Griller's Original veggie burger, raw almonds, Smart Balance Skim Lactose Free Milk, Fage Greek 0% Yogurt, Steel Cut Oatmeal, Peanut Butter (it's a superfood), Protein powder, tons of water & chocolate... I eat a small piece of chocolate after dinner every day. I like to think of it as my reward for working out so hard.  Oh and baked potatoes, most people stay away from carbs, and yes refined sugars/any sort of white bread you should stay way from.  However, contrary to popular belief potatoes are a super food (just like spinach & Broccoli) and very good for you.  It's what people put on them that can lead to trouble. I like to have lowfat Smart Balance & lowfat Cottage Cheeese on mine, Yummo!
Maybe, that's why Mr. Bricks is going to have to have his own tour bus... Mine will be filled with workout equipment, a treadmill, healthy food, and yes even the occasional slice of pizza.  His will be filled with Diet Coke, McRibs, and anything else salty and the polar opposite of a superfood.
Have a healthy super day.
Blessings!
Ava
xox

No comments:

Post a Comment