Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Happy Slip - YouTube At Its Best



Christine Gambito - YouTube's Queen of Comedy
Even I know that the world doesn't revolve around me! Wait, what?? Just kidding.  So, every once in a while I want to use this platform as a way to shout out to other very talented artists. For those of you living under a rock, today's blog is all about one of those artists. Her name is Christine Gambito, but you might know her from her vlogging as Happy Slip with her videos on YouTube.  Her YouTube Channel Happy Slip has racked up an impressive 83 million views.
Christine is not only cute as a bug, but she is also talented beyond belief. She excels as a comedian and actress, and she is also obviously a very gifted editor, writer and singer! Christine writes, edits and creates all of her own videos.
One her talents is also to take a great song and to make a parody all her own. Check out two of my favorites:

And here's a video that seems to be made specifically aimed at Mr. Bricks' heart (and stomach)

As great as her song parodies are, most notably Christine has created a series of videos featuring seven main characters based on her loving Filipino family. A great deal of Christine's amazing videos (there are 83 of them) revolve around the family dynamics, love and chaos with a bit of Filipino dysfunction thrown in.
According to Wikipedia (So you know it's true) Gambito attributes her nickname "Happy Slip" to her Filipino mother's mispronunciation of "half-slip"
"As a child, my Filipino mom would always remind me to wear a half-slip with skirts. However, the way she would pronounce the phrase was misleading: "Your hap e-slip! Be sure to wear your hap e-slip!" So I naturally went around calling the thing a 'happy slip,' until friends at school corrected me by asking if I had a 'sad slip' as well."
At her personal website, Christine explains that the phrase is not only a funny phrase from the past, but it also reflects what she would like people to feel when they watch her videos, hoping they will “slip into happiness” while watching.
Christine's "Family"
As everyone knows (because I blog about it every day), I love my Greek-ness and it shows in all of the Happy Slip videos that Christine loves her Filipino-ness. All of the characters portrayed are Christine. Underneath those wigs costumes and make-up is one talented girl who should be on Saturday Night Live, or better yet - Christine should have her own TV show.
I'm not Oprah Winfrey so I don't have my OWN network, but if I did - you can bet your bottom dollar that not only would I have the Ava Aston Muckery Show  I would also have the Happy Slip program.
Christine's Official Facebook:
Christine's Official Website:
Blessings,
Ava
xox
Just a few more days to take advantage of my March Madness Sale


All Photos of Christine Gambito and Happy Slip are property of Christine Gambito.

No comments:

Post a Comment