Monday, March 21, 2011

Shut Your Pie Hole



Contestants compete during the Virgin Mobile pie eating competition at Harry's Cafe de Wheels in Sydney, Australia. (July 23, 2008 - Photo by Sergio Dionisio/Getty Images Entertainment)
One of my most favorite sayings is, "Shut Your Pie Hole"
Have you ever wondered where that saying comes from? I did. I found that it is a British term. "The Dictionary of Contemporary Slang" by Tony Thorne, originally published by Bloomsbury Publishing in 1990 says the origin is from the phrase  "cakehole", noun. British meaning "Mouth." It's a slang term which was extremely widespread and considered by many to be vulgar in the 1950s and 1960s. It survives in the inner circles of younger adults, school children and Greek blonde girls. It is also a  common expression by my favorite cartoon character, Cartman on South Park. I laugh out loud just thinking of him saying it. Here is an example:
Stan: Ready? 1, 2, 3, 4!
(Stan, Kyle, Cartman, and Kenny start playing the flutes and drum as they march. Cartman starts beating the drum.)
Cartman: Yeah! Do you like to rock?! I like to rock! Hello, Baltimore!
Kyle: Cartman, what the hell are you doing?!
Cartman: I'm playing the drum!(He continues to beat the drum.)
Kyle: You're not supposed to beat the drum, you hit it!
Cartman: You don't hit a drum! You gotta beat the (bleep) out of it! (He starts to beat the drum again.) Shut your pie-hole!
Too funny.
Sometimes I have to alter the phrase to make it appropriate. For instance, I often tell my manager Mr. Bricks, to "shut his Mc Rib hole" because he is always eating the McDonald's McRibs. But, by the size of his expanding waistline, I am sure Bricks also eats his fair share of pies - just sayin'.
I should say that whenever I mention in one of my blogs or on Facebook or Twitter that I like South Park it seems like I always get a few pieces of negative fan mail basically telling me I am going to go to Hell for liking the animated series.  It doesn't matter how many disclaimers I put that it is just a cartoon and it is only entertainment for me and that I don't live my life by it there are always some goodie-two-shoes people who still love to rant about what a bad person I am for being a fan of South Park.
To those people I say, shut your pie hole!
Blessings,
Ava
xox
PS: Don't forget the March Madness Sale on my "Gone" CD. Only $6.99 Plus Free Shipping

No comments:

Post a Comment