Sunday, March 13, 2011

Karma Apples



Yummo!
 I think perhaps the first example of Karma at work was with Adam and Eve. Ok, I know it never said the tree was an apple tree, but that's what they told this Greek girl in bible school, so that how's I'm rolling.According to the NIV version of the bible,  Genesis 3:6 "When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it." This is why I called today's blog, Karma Apples.
It doesn't matter if it involved apples, oranges, figs, kumquats or anything else, Karma is sometimes referred to as the "moral law of cause and effect." We have all heard someone say when they were wronged by another person that revenge is not necessary because Karma will get them. At least, that is how I feel sometimes.
Karma is both an encouragement to do good and to avoid evil, because man, it sucks to be on the receiving end of bad Karma - receiving good Karma, that's another story. So either way, Karma is sometimes an explanation for whatever good or evil befalls a person.
In Buddhist teaching, the law of karma, says only this: "for every event that occurs, there will follow another event whose existence was caused by the first, and this second event will be pleasant or unpleasant according as its cause was skillful or unskillful."
However, I do not personally believe what the Buddhist believe that Karma has its hand in every situation. Sometimes it is just way too easy for us to place the blame of a negative situation on Karma. For example, is it really Karma that my manager Mr. Bricks has a lazy eye or did he just sit way too close to the TV and read his Dr. Seuss books in the dark when he was little? I'm sure his parents, Mr. & Mrs. Bricks warned him about the danger of them both. I know my parents warned me about them and might I add, in a very Greek flamboyant fashion.
So as actress when I audition for a role and don't get it, I don't assume that it's Karma coming back and slapping my Greek little butt for something I did wrong. What I do assume is that the casting director had another idea in mind of what they wanted for that particular role. Likewise, when I audition for and get a role, (like the national TV commercial that I currently have running right now - you know the one that everyone emails me 100x a day that they "just saw me on TV") I do not assume that I got the role because of good Karma. I got the role because they liked my Greek Blonde look, what is in my coconut and what I brought to the role. I do believe there is a difference between Karma and God's grace.
We can not do enough to earn God's grace. It is just something he graciously gives us.
Have a blessed day -
Ava
xox

No comments:

Post a Comment