Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Who Do You Think You Are?



Ava Aston and her Greek Dad
I am hooked on the NBC reality show,"Who Do You Think You Are?"  So, who do I think I am? I am a simple sneaker wearing, dog-lovin', singing Greek blonde girl, duh...Winner.
The series is a documentary style reality series that is patterned after a similar British reality series that airs on the BBC.  Each week a celebrity goes on a journey to places to trace his or her family tree. Because I am always on different journeys and muckery myself, I have not seen every episode but my favorite episodes (of the ones I have seen) are Lionel Richie, Vanessa Williams, Rosie O'Donnell and Tim McGraw.
The great thing about the show is that it allows us to see and learn things about people we thought we already knew about from the media. Because it is an in-depth genealogical documentary there are always a great deal of surprises. Even the person being profiled learns a great deal about their heritage. I think it is just an amazing show. I now set my DVR so I don't miss it anymore.
Catching up on last season and watching a past episode the other day made me think I should look more into my heritage and find out what muckery lurks within my Greekery. I know I am Greek on my Dad's side and Scottish and Indian on my Mom's side, but that's about all I really know. So I went to Ancestors.com - which is conveniently a sponsor of the show - and when I logged on I got a leaf and that's where it all started. Ok, I didn't log onto to their website, but I was really curious about my background so I decided to kanoodle the local census worker into revealing classified information about me that they are sworn to secrecy to protect.  Alright, I didn't really do that either.
But I did have a dream the other night and in my Greek little REM sleep filled noggin I dreamt that NBC did do an episode called Ava Aston: Who Do You Think You Are?,  In my dream this is what they found:
My natural athletic ability and sneaker addiction is because I am related to Bruce Jenner. However, because of the whole Jenner/Kardashian connection I decided to deny that part of my heritage. Because sneakers aside, I thought that was probably the shady side of my family tree anyway.
I found out that I am related to Justin Bieber. Well actually, the show said I was related to Justin's manager Scooter Braun. Close enough. It turns that my neighbor's cousin's sister's best friend lives next door to a dude, who has a friend with an aunt that went to 2nd grade with Scooter Braun. Cool huh?
My Grandparents used to live next to the Great Grandparents of Howard Schultz. They use to have coffee together every Saturday morning. Howard Schultz is the Founder and CEO of Starbucks. So that explains that addiction.
Musically it turns out that my Maternal Great-Great Grandfather invented music. Sounds absurd, I know. But at least he didn't claim to invent Post-It Notes or the Internet -just sayin'
They also uncovered that Kevin Bacon is my 6th cousin. Weird.
But the real scary part about my ancestry that they found out was that I am related to my manger Mr. Bricks. They told me that I have a 2nd cousin from Greece, who married an American girl who had a brother who once dated a girl that had an uncle from Brooklyn who just happens to be the optometrist who treats Mr. Bricks' lazy eye.   It was so scary I woke up. I hate nightmares.
Blessings,
Ava
xox


No comments:

Post a Comment