Friday, May 27, 2011

I See Greedy People


  Photo Credit: Claire Shannon                
Have you ever wondered why some people are so greedy and others are so kind that they would give you the shirt off of their back? I did. So I decided to do some not so scientific research on the subject by spending about 10  minutes on the interweb and I have come to the scientific conclusion that there is a tiny little switch hardwired into our noggins that sometimes gets tripped and sometimes does not get tripped. It's really that simple, no rocket scientist degree needed.
My not so scientific interweb research led me me from the ultra greedy Bernie Madoff who bilked investors out of $18  billion dollars to the world's greatest philanthropists Bill & Melinda Gates who so far have given away more than $24.81 billion since the inception of their Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
I did not need to do research to realize that just because someone is willing to give you the shirt off their back means that they are doing a good thing. I can think specifically of my manager Mr. Bricks. I do not think we want him even considering to give the shirt off his large framed (read: big boned) body to anyone, especially in the presence of impressionable little kids. Just the "hairy back" factor is one reason we must always try and keep Mr. Bricks and other similarly sized individuals from being too generous with their clothing.
Then you have the other side of the aisle where some people are so greedy that they are willing to go to Costco every Friday night for their free samples instead of stimulating the local economy by actually spending money for appetizers at the Regal Beagle or their local neighborhood bar and grill. That's just wrong...but I must admit I do usually try and sneak back for three or four tastes whenever they are sampling Zone bars. Yummo.
Here are my two favorite quotes on Greed
A singer starts by having his instrument as a gift from God... When you have been given something in a moment of grace, it is sacrilegious to be greedy.  - Marian Anderson
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand. - Robert G. Allen
Blessings,
Ava
xox

No comments:

Post a Comment